Volkswagen Extended Warranty
The Volkswagen Extended Warranty will go above and beyond the Volkswagen Manufacturer’s Warranty. Before we go into discussing the Volkswagen Extended Warranty, let’s look at what is covered in the manufacturer’s warranty.
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty on Volkswagen vehicles that are registered in the United States are covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, for 2009 or greater models or 4 years/50,000 miles for 2002-2008 models. The complete vehicle is covered, including tires, towing to your nearest Volkswagen dealership, along with cosmetic corrosion resulting from defects. Warranted repairs will be made at no charge to correct any vehicle defect. Also, included in the new vehicle limited warranty is the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program provided by Road America.
What Is A Volkswagen Extended Warranty?
The Volkswagen Extended Warranty has 3 levels that you can choose from. Those levels are called The Powertrain Limited Warranty, The Volkswagen Drive Easy Silver Plan, The Volkswagen Drive Easy Gold Plan, and The Volkswagen Gold Plus Plan. Let’s take a look at each plan in detail here:
Gold Extended Plan
The most comprehensive and best-extended warranty plan that Volkswagen offers is the Gold Extended Plan. This plan will include everything in the PowerTrain, Silver and Gold Plus Plan with the addition of protection of the most major systems including what Volkswagen calls “high-tech” bells and whistles.
Second in line and the next best plan after the Gold Extended Plan is the Gold Plan. This plan includes coverage that is also provided under the Powertrain and Silver Plan, with the additional benefits like ABS component parts, 30 plus additional electrical components, oil pan, water pump pulley and much more.
The Silver Plan is the third best coverage out of the Volkswagen Extended Plans. This plan covers major components under the PowerTrain Plan. The Silver Plan will also include coverage pertaining to Steering, Brakes, Air Conditioning, Front Suspension, and Electrical Systems.
Powertrain Limited Warranty
Volkswagen vehicles have a Powertrain Warranty that covers 5 years/60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Powertrain for Volkswagen covers three critical assemblies (Engine, Transmission, Transaxle, and Drive Axle) for parts and labor costs in the event of mechanical failure beyond the Volkswagen warranty. These parts are covered, along with labor even if the failure is caused by wear and tear. Covered by your Powertrain Warranty are the following components:
Engine Parts including the following:
- Engine block and cylinder heads and all internally lubricated parts including pistons, piston rings, pins and cylinder sleeves
- Crankshaft, pulley, main bearings, caps, and bolts
- Connecting rods, rod bearings, caps, and bolts
- Camshaft(s), camshaft bearings, buttons, and plugs
- Timing gears and timing chain or belt
- Rocker arms, rocker arm pivots, shafts and bushings
- Intake and exhaust valves, springs, guides, adjusters, retainers, and seats
- Pushrods and lifters
- Intake manifold
- Exhaust manifolds
- Balance shaft
- Water pump
- Fuel pump
- Oil pump, cover, gears, pressure relief valve and screen
- Rotor housing, rotors, shims and silent shaft
- All internal fasteners, nuts and bolts
- Turbocharger/supercharger assembly including boost valve and wastegate
- Seals and gaskets
Transmission and Axle
- Transmission/transaxle case and all internally lubricated parts including ring and pinion gears
- Oil pump, cover, gears, housing and vanes
- Torque converter
- Valve body(s)
- Throttle valve
- Valve pack
- Governor, gear and cover
- Parking gear and pawl
- Roll pins
- Stator and shaft
- Pressure regulator valve
- Pressure switches
- Automatic transmission/transaxle clutch, drums, pistons and steel plates
- Planetary and sun gears
- Servos and rings
- Synchronizer hubs and keys
- Supports and shafts
- Control rings
- Extension housing
- Speedometer drive gears
- Accumulators and rings
- All internal fasteners, nuts, and bolts
- Shift cover and forks
- Separate bell housing
- Transfer case and all internal parts contained within the transfer case
- Seals and gaskets
- Note that the standard transmission, clutch, assemblies, and all the component parts are not covered.
- Differential/axle housing(s) and all internally lubricated parts including the axle flange
- Ring and pinion gear/carrier assembly
- Spider gears and bearings
- Positraction clutches, plates and springs
- Seals and gaskets
Vehicle Protection Plans
There is a difference between the Volkswagen Extended Warranty and Their Vehicle Protection Plan. The Vehicle Protection Plan is an agreement to perform and pay for repairs and services. The protection plan can be obtained at any time. With the Volkswagen Extended Warranty, most people purchase it when they purchase their new Volkswagen vehicle or before the manufacturer’s warranty runs out.
Volkswagen offers 4 different protection plans for you to choose from. Let’s take a look at them here:
If your Volkswagen gets dented, or if the interior is needing to be repaired, this is where the appearance protection can kick in. This protection kicks in when you are not covered by your insurance carrier. Some of the benefits of appearance protection are: genuine Volkswagen parts will be used, the protection is fully transferable, there is a 60-day money back guarantee, the coverage is good for Canada and the Continental United States, and there is no deductible during the contract term for any covered benefit. Protection includes the following:
- Interior protection
- Paintless dent removal
- Paint repair
- Key and keyless remote replacement
- Car rental benefit
- Front windshield protection
- Head/Tail light protection
- Tire and wheel protection
- Curb scuff repair
In the unlikely event that you pass away, become ill, lose employment or become disabled while you are still making monthly payments for your Volkswagen, this loan protection will help your loved ones to meet your financial obligations. Some of the benefits of this loan protection are as follows:
- Claim benefits are usually received tax-free
- In most cases, no medical exam or underwriting required
- Most full-time occupations are eligible
- No age, height, weight or smoking status premium surcharge
- Can be canceled anytime
- Can protect credit standing
Vehicle Loss Privilege Protection
If you need to replace your vehicle in the event of a loss, this vehicle loss protection can help you. The Vehicle Loss Privilege Protection can be financed in monthly installments. Here are some different loss events that could occur:
Negative Equity Privilege
When your vehicle is a total write-off and your balance on your vehicle loan is more than what your vehicle is worth, Negative Equity Privilege can step in to help. By providing an in-store loyalty discount for the difference between your insurance settlement amount and the remaining loan balance, this program can help you replace your Volkswagen.
Total Loss of Event Privilege
If your vehicle is a total loss, such as from a collision, fire or theft you’re eligible for a fixed in-store loyalty discount towards a replacement vehicle which helps offset some of the added cost of getting a new vehicle.
Partial Loss of Event Privilege
If a crash resulted in a damage record on your vehicle’s history report, a damage declaration could reduce the resale value of your vehicle. This is when Partial Loss Event Privilege can be beneficial. When you purchase or lease a new vehicle, it provides an in-store loyalty discount to help you make up for the loss in resale value.
Theft Event Privilege
With Theft Event Privilege, if your vehicle is stolen and not recovered, you are eligible for a fixed in-store loyalty discount towards a replacement vehicle.
Mechanical Breakdown Protection
With Mechanical Breakdown Protection you can get up to a decade of protection. This plan will cover your vehicle against unexpected breakdowns for up to 10 years or 200,000 kilometers. You’ll also get 24-hour roadside assistance, trip interruption protection, and vehicle rental benefits. If you need to make a claim during the term of your coverage, the claim free reward benefit on select plans will provide reimbursement benefits. There are 3 levels of coverage to choose from with the Mechanical Breakdown Protection.
Certified Used Warranties
The Volkswagen certified used warranty will add 2 years or 24,000 miles of coverage on top of the manufacturers limited warranty of 3 years or 36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. You will need to pay a $50 deductible per visit.
When you purchase an extended warranty from Volkswagen you will get to experience the following benefits:
Wear and Tear Coverage– All components covered under all plans up to 50,000 miles are eligible for wear and tear coverage.
Fluids Coverage– Replacement of necessary fluids, oils, greases, lubricants, and approved air conditioner gases that must be replaced in conjunction with a covered repair.
Improved Resale– Each plan is fully transferable, making your Volkswagen vehicle more appealing to potential buyers.
Interest-Free Payments– Volkswagen provides interest-free financing with low monthly payments for all available Volkswagen Drive Easy plans including Platinum, Gold, Gold Plus, Silver and Powertrain.
Travel Coverage Benefits– If your vehicle is inoperable due to a covered mechanical breakdown, and you are more than 100 miles from home, the Volkswagen Service Plan provides you with travel coverage that includes reimbursement for meals, lodging, and alternative transportation, up to $75 per day to a maximum of $375 per occurrence. But make sure to note that prior authorization from the toll-free assistance center is required.
Towing and Car Rental Reimbursement– Towing Reimbursement up to $75 when required due to the failure of a covered part or simply call the dedicated 24-hour toll free assistance hotline to arrange for towing services to the nearest Volkswagen dealership up to $75 per incident. Car Rental Reimbursement for car rental expenses is based on flat-rate repair time, up to $35 per day, and $350, 10 days maximum.
Over 5,000 Service Centers Nationwide– There are 5,000 authorized service centers and repair facilities nationwide.
Optional Tire Coverage– Optional Road Hazard protection is available for your Volkswagen. The Repair or replacement of a tire that is damaged by a road hazard such as debris on the road or potholes is covered.
Why Buy An Extended Warranty?
An extended warranty is much like purchasing any kind of insurance. Buying an extended warranty is like buying a safeguard for when unforeseen repairs come up. If you are not a risk-taker, an extended warranty is a great choice. Or maybe you don’t keep enough in an emergency fund to cover unforeseen repairs. Whatever the case, an extended warranty may take the stress away. Even if you never use it, it may make you feel better to not worry what might happen if you need a costly repair. That in itself may make an extended warranty valuable to you. Of course, the main reason to buy one is that it will cover repairs if needed and save you money. Because an extended warranty can be financed into your monthly bill at the time of your Nissan purchase, it makes future repairs affordable.
Here are some other reasons that you should buy an extended warranty:
- Convenience – If something goes wrong with your Volkswagen vehicle while it is under warranty, you can just drop it off at a Volkswagen dealer to have it fixed. You won’t have to seek out a mechanic to try to troubleshoot what is going wrong. You also won’t have to try to self diagnose the problem. There will be no long hours on google, troubleshooting or looking at where to buy parts. Just drop it off at a certified Volkswagen mechanic and go. Convenience means time for more important things in life. And time also can mean money.
- Worry-free Automobile Ownership – With an extended warranty you won’t have to worry about how you will pay your bill if big repairs come up. An extended warranty can take the stress out of vehicle ownership. Many people have lost sleep and worried about how they would pay for unexpected auto repairs that their vehicle was needing. By buying an extended warranty you are taking that stress away.
- Greater Value – If you sell your Volkswagen vehicle and can show that it was under warranty while you owned it, it will have a greater market value. Why? Because statistics show that vehicles under warranty are better-taken care of than vehicles not under warranty. Also, you could transfer your warranty to the new owner if the vehicle still had miles or years left on the warranty. This is seldom looked at the benefit of purchasing an extended warranty.
- No Unexpected Big Expenses – This last benefit that I’m going to go over is self-explanatory and also the number one reason that many people purchase extended warranties. Because your vehicle is under warranty you won’t have to shell out the money if something goes wrong that is covered under warranty.
Things To Consider When Deciding On An Extended Warranty
Let’s take a look at some things to consider when you are contemplating purchasing an extended warranty:
- Your extended warranty may not cover all the repairs. Make sure to read the fine print. I’ve covered what each level of a Volkswagen extended warranty covers but make sure before you buy one to read the warranty policy in detail. It always makes good practice to read what you are purchasing. It may take awhile reading that fine print but it is wise to do so.
- You may never use the extended warranty. The facts are that an extended warranty costs money and in the long run, the auto world makes more money off the fact that they sell more extended warranties than it cost to fix those repairs covered by the extended warranty. This doesn’t mean that you won’t benefit from an extended warranty, but on the flip side, you may never use it. In that case, it is wasted money. It really is a gamble. Upon researching extended warranties, the statistics varied based on the study, but a lot of people never used their extended warranties.
Volkswagen Extended Warranty Conclusion
A Volkswagen New Vehicle Manufacturer’s Warranty is for 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever occurs first. After that, you are on your own for repairs unless you purchase an extended warranty. I’ve gone over the different levels of Volkswagen Extended Warranties along with things to think about when purchasing an extended warranty. In addition to this, I’ve gone over Volkswagen Protection Plans and also Benefits. While I have given you a lot of details here, there is going to be more fine print that you should go over before purchasing any plan. I hope this has helped you to make educated decisions pertaining to Volkswagen Extended Warranties.