Along with your Jeep vehicle purchase, you’ll receive a manufacturer's warranty that will typically cover manufacturing defects or errors for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. A Jeep extended warranty can add years and mileage to this coverage, whether you've done custom jeep modifications (jeep doors for example) or not. You just need to speak with someone.
What Is a Jeep Extended Warranty?
A Jeep extended warranty is an optional Mopar Vehicle Protection plan that allows you to add additional time and coverage, such as up to eight years or 125,000 miles.
Jeep extended warranties are available for all Jeep vehicles, including:
- Grand Cherokee
- Wrangler Unlimited
You can purchase a Jeep extended warranty at the time of your original vehicle purchase or at any time before the manufacturer’s warranty runs out. The Jeep extended warranty cost will depend on which type of coverage you elect.
What Is Covered by a Jeep Extended Warranty?
Jeep extended warranties come in varying levels of protection. But before we explore the extended warranty options, let’s first look at what the basic Jeep warranty entails.
Jeep Base Warranty
Jeep’s basic warranty is provided at no extra cost, and, according to Jeep, it covers “the cost and labor needed to repair any defective item on your vehicle that was supplied by Chrysler Motors.” This plan also covers towing costs to the nearest Jeep dealer in cases where you can’t drive due to a covered part’s failure.
The warranty lasts 36 months from the date it begins or for 36,000 miles, whichever you reach first. Certain items, however, are covered for only 12 months or 12,000 miles. These items include brakes (rotors, pads, linings and drums), wiper blades and clutch discs.
Jeep Extended Warranty Options
Every Jeep owner is different, so you’ll find it reassuring that you can choose a plan that best fits your anticipated needs and budget. Jeep offers three extended warranty options:
- Powertrain Care Plus: Covers 400-plus components
- Added Care Plus: Covers 850-plus components
- Maximum Care: Covers 5,000-plus components
Let’s take a closer look at these Jeep extended warranty plans, including exploring what coverage each entails.
Powertrain Care Plus Jeep Extended Warranty
According to Mopar, the Powertrain Care Plus plan adds many benefits to your basic warranty, including:
- First-day rental: Provides a $35 first-day vehicle rental allowance or taxi reimbursement for any dealership mechanical repair or maintenance service (excluding bodywork).
- Rental car allowance: Pays up to $35 per day ($175 maximum per occurrence) for a vehicle rental or taxi reimbursement anytime a component covered by the plan or basic warranty fails, causing the vehicle to be inoperable and if repairs take overnight.
- $100 towing and roadside assistance: Provides 24-hour towing and roadside assistance (up to $100 per occurrence). Benefits include towing, flat-tire change (with your good spare), battery jump, out-of-gas fuel delivery (maximum 2 gallons) and lockout service (keys locked in car or frozen lock, for example).
- $1,000 trip-interruption protection: Pays up to $1,000 for lodging, meals and car rental expenses if the vehicle is inoperable due to a failure covered by the service contract or the factory warranty and if the failure occurs more than 100 miles from home.
- Covered components: This plan covers more than 400 components, including those related to your engine, transmission, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, four-wheel/all-wheel drive, steering and air conditioning.
Added Care Plus Jeep Extended Warranty
The Added Care Plus plan allows you to customize your Jeep Extended Warranty to your needs. The Added Care plan includes the same first-day rental, rental car allowance, towing and roadside assistance, and trip-interruption protection as outlined in the Powertrain Warranty, above.
This flexible option also allows you to choose years of coverage, mileage limits and deductible rate:
- Years range from five to eight; a lifetime option is also available.
- Mileage terms available in 60,000, 75,000, 85,000, 100,000 and 125,000.
- Deductible amounts include $200, $100 or $0 per visit.
Additional Added Care benefits listed by Mopar include:
- Key fob repair and replacement: Provides coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements (with a total maximum coverage benefit of $600). Key fob coverage is available even if this component is not operable or recoverable.
- Transfer policy: Remaining plan coverage may be transferred to the subsequent purchaser of the vehicle at the time of vehicle sale, providing the remaining warranty is also transferred. A $50 plan transfer fee will be applied, in most states. Not all plans are transferable.
- Additional covered components: This plan covers more than 850 components, including other items not covered under the basic and powertrain plans, including suspension, electrical, engine cooling, brakes, instrumentation and Mopar accessories.
This Jeep extended warranty cost will vary based on the customizable portions of this plan.
Maximum Care Jeep Extended Warranty
If you’re looking for the most complete coverage possible, the Maximum Care Extended Warranty from Mopar might be right for you.
The Maximum Care plan, as described by Mopar, covers your Jeep vehicle for eight years or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first. This plan includes the same first-day rental, rental car allowance, towing/roadside assistance, trip interruption protection, and key FOB repair/replacement as outlined in the Added Care warranty, above.
Covered Components: The Maximum Care Jeep Warranty covers more than 5,000 Jeep components, including all of those mentioned in the other plans, plus body mechanics, manual interior mechanics, and safety and security features.
The Value of a Jeep Extended Warranty
Why buy a Jeep extended warranty, you ask? There are many reasons to add protection to your vehicle. For one, it helps to think of an extended warranty as a kind of insurance policy for your Jeep. It could give you peace of mind knowing that you’ll be covered when the unexpected happens. This is especially reassuring when you don’t have an emergency fund available in case of an unforeseen repair.
Here are a few key reasons to invest in a Jeep extended warranty:
- Convenience: If something covered under warranty goes wrong with your Jeep, you’ll enjoy the convenience of access to an official dealership to service your vehicle, not to mention possible savings on towing and rental cars.
- Less stress: Just knowing you have an extended warranty can help take the stress out of vehicle ownership and reduce the worry that you could suddenly be hit with unexpected expenses. This is especially true if you’re on the road a lot.
- Greater value: Research shows that vehicles under warranty are better taken care of than those not covered. If you decide to sell your Jeep, showing that it’s been under warranty can give it greater market value. Additionally, depending on the timing, you might be able to transfer the warranty to the new owner.
Given all of this information, you can see there’s enough value in these plans to justify the additional Jeep Extended Warranty cost. In fact, instead of asking, “What does a Jeep extended warranty cost?” you could consider asking what it costs not to invest an extended warranty.
The Bottom Line on Jeep Extended Warranties
Although it’s true you might not need the benefits that come with your Jeep extended warranty, these plans often pay for themselves over time. Repair costs and rental and towing fees not only add up quickly, but these rates are also increasing.
A Jeep extended warranty is definitely something to consider if you’re looking for peace of mind and to reduce unforeseen car expenses in the future. With the variety and flexibility of plans, your Jeep extended warranty cost could very well fit within your budget.